Saturday 10 January 2009

Trials & tribulations - Went to Dudley

With Christmas & new year gone I still had my birthday to celebrate on the 8th Jan. which I don"t really look forward to as I"m not getting any younger & my friends always forget it with it being so near xmas. The good thing though is that I get two lots of presents.
Last Monday, I traveled down to Dudley, W Midlands by train for a course & it was so cold that the rivers in Birmingham [or canals] were frozen over - just hope no-one tried to walk across then. When I eventually arrived in Dudley by bus, it was dark & the pavements were like ice rinks. Also I didn"t know the town at all so I tried to use my mobile as I had a list for accommodation but there was hardly any signal & my battery was low. Anyway as I was on foot, I made my way towards the town centre - it was a case of picking any direction & following it. Luckily, I picked the right one & ended up in the nearest pub. It was great there as the people were very friendly & gave me a number of The Lamp Tavern pub which did B&B which I couldn"t ring as my battery had given up - maybe because of the cold. Anyway I made my way towards there & stopped of at another pub. They let me charge my battery up there so I rang The Lamp Tavern but they didn"t have a room so I rang some numbers on my list but they couldn"t help as It was too late by then. As I was facing the harrowing prospect of sleeping outside in the snow, someone gave me the name of a hotel & they had rooms for £50 a night - more than I wanted to pay but much better than the alternative. I got a cab to the hotel & the on-suite room was really good. - cont.later:

No comments: