Tuesday 14 April 2009

Trials & tribulations -- What a weekend cont:

The next day, (Sunday) I went out for a meal at the new Italian restaurant where the Trustee Savings Bank used to be -- very fresh & modern inside . It was actually my brother"s partner Clare who took us. I had spaghetti, bacon bits sprinkled with Parmesan cheese with a cappachino which was very nice, except I didn"t have enough.
The timing was good because the I.Q"s live mini music festivle was starting at 4pm.which meant that I had a couple of hours to kill. I went to the IQ to check to se what equipment they had, had a pint and then went to the lead singer"s flat to run through the songs. At that point we had no idea how long or even what time we"d be playing so we got down to the I.Q at 4pm. The first bands were pretty good but very loud and the place was soon packed to capacity -- I stood outside most of the time because of this.
The bands played various rock covers vintage & modern. not bad considering it was only supposed to be a jamming night and the crowd were pretty wild compared to a usual Saturday night. We were beginning to wonder how we"d fare with the crowd in there -- plus Dave, our lead guitarist hadn"t turned up. We were also getting a bit concerned if we"d even get to play. We needn"t have worried though, cause by 9pm most of the bands had played and we set up and a very experienced drummer, lead guitarist & bass player joined us. We played several songs including "Walk on the Wild Side" as well as our own songs and it went down a storm -- even though the other players hadn"t played with us before. The crowd went crazy, dancing & jumping about -- one girl started fiddling with the knobs on my keyboard. There were one or two things which went wrong, two of the lead singer"s guitar strings broke and my keyboard power lead played up a bit but none of this affected us or the crowd. Overall an amazing night.

No comments: